The construction sector needs to challenge its usual practices and innovate at a higher pace than ever before. For that, METABUILDING, an EU-funded H2020 project, has developed an innovation ecosystem that brings together stakeholders from construction and four emerging industrial sectors; recycling & circularity, additive manufacturing, nature-based solutions, and digital industry.
As part of the METABUILDING outreach activities and with the goal of fostering the cross-sectoral cooperation, a workshop will be held in Brussels on the circular economy & recycling practices in the building environment.
The objective of this event is:
- Present the EU’s Circular Economy Action Plan and the latest legislative developments to make the construction sector greener (including the revised EU Construction Products Regulation)
- Present METABUILDING platform: fostering new cross-sectoral, cross-border industrial value chains.
- Showcase successful collaborative projects and METABUILDING winners on the building & recycling sector.
- Discuss on the circularity and recycling challenge for the construction sector: state of play and future prospects.
This workshop will bring together stakeholders from the construction and the recycling sector including industry associations, RTOs, policymakers, business, and SMEs.
The participation of this workshop is free of charge. However, the spots available are limited. Please, find below the registration link.
After two successful editions, WGIN’s European Green Infrastructure Day (#EGIDay) will be back on 27 April 2023 for another day full of insightful discussions about green roofs and walls and how EU policies can support their uptake across Europe.
#EGIDay23 will gather EU policymakers, green roof industry leaders, experts and NGOs to discuss how to tap into the multiple benefits of green infrastructure for Europe’s climate and energy transition.
View the full agenda here.
*Registration & attendance is FREE.
Session I – 10:00-11:00 CET
Green, efficient and solar-powered: key features of a sustainable building stock
Session II – 11:15 – 12:15 CET
Greening urban spaces to help restore nature in Europe
Session III – 14:00 – 15:00 CET
Permeable cities for better water management, resilience and climate adaptation
Session IV – 15:15 – 16:15 CET
One possible future of European cities: green, more beautiful and inclusive
Confirmed speakers include:
- Ciaran Cuffe MEP, Rapporteur on the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive recast
- Jutta Paulus MEP, Shadow Rapporteur on Nature Restoration Law
- Margrete Auken MEP, Shadow Rapporteur on UWWTD Recast, ENVI Committee Member
- Naomi Chevillard, Head of Regulatory Affairs, Solar Power Europe
- Bettina Doeser, Head of Unit, Natural Capital & Ecosystems Health, DG ENV, European Commission
- Florian Becker, Project Coordinator – Environment, Eurocities
- Michel Sponar, Deputy Head of Unit, Marine Environment & Clean Water Services, DG ENV, European Commission
- Johan Ringeling, Business Strategist and Innovation Manager, Interpolis
- Sian Hughes, Sustainable Leadership Advisor
- Daniela Rizzi, Senior Officer for Nature-Based Solutions and Biodiversity, ICLEI Europe
- Eleni Myrivili, Global Chief Heat Officer, UN-Habitat & Arsht-Rock Resilience Center; Chief Resilience Officer, City of Athens / Former elected Deputy Mayor
- Antonios Sfakiotakis, Senior Specialist, Permanent Representation of Finland to the EU
- Dusty Gedge, Urban Biodiversity Professional, European Federation for Green Roofs & Walls
- Mariangiola Fabbri, Head of Research, Buildings Performance Institute Europe
- Herbert Dreiseitl, Urban Designer, Landscape Architect, Artist
- Sergio Rocha, Executive Director, Instituto Cidade Jardim
- Adrian Michel, Head of Product Management System Engineering Roofing, Sika
- Toni Amich, Green Roof Specialist, Sempergreen, Spain
- Uwe Harzmann, Managing Director, Optigruen
- Luigi Petito, Head of EU Chapter, World Green Infrastructure Network (WGIN)
Urban nature has the potential to provide many benefits for society and the environment. As an example, urban green and blue can reduce the negative impacts of heat waves and heavy rainfall events. This makes the creation and protection of urban spaces for nature indispensable in the context of the climate and biodiversity crises.
Underutilised spaces such as brownfields, abandoned industrial areas, oversized roads and parking lots as well as roofs and facades of buildings offer a unique opportunity to increase the share of urban nature. However, such transformations are often associated with challenges.
The City of Chemnitz, upcoming cultural capital of Europe, in cooperation with Climate Alliance and Ecologic Institute invites you to a two-day conference on how to achieve such a green transition in cities. Topics include: enabling policy and governance frameworks, identification of key actors within city administrations, how to foster cross-sectoral collaboration and citizen participation, financing options, managing conflicts of interest and potential trade-offs between green and grey options for different stakeholders. The conference targets municipal actors and practitioners interested in tapping into the potential of underutilised areas to expand urban nature.
We look forward to welcoming you in Chemnitz!
The conference is free of charge. Participation is possible on-site only. The conference will be held in English, German and Spanisch with simultaneous translation. There is a limited contingent of participants. Please register here.
Join us and other municipal representatives at the Pentagon3 in Chemnitz for two days of keynote presentations, pitch sessions, interactive workshops (day 1) and field trips (day 2)! Please find the programme here.
Join the conversation at Cities Talk Nature Europe in Chemnitz and pitch your urban nature story!
We are looking for inspiring stories showcased in a three-minute pep talk on how to bring back nature into cities by employing underutilised spaces. Awards await the winning participants. Are you interested? Find out more about pitching your story here.
Sign the Cities Talk Nature engagement letter at the conference!
You like what Cities Talk Nature is doing and are keen on being involved beyond the event in Chemnitz? Then sign the engagement letter and become part of the growing Cities Talk Nature community, supported by the city networks Climate Alliance (Europe), UCLG (worldwide), FLACMA (Latin America) and UNGL (Costa Rica). Please find more information here.
We are happy to announce the 25th European Forum on Urban Forestry that will be co-organised this year by the European Forest Institute, the Sendzimir Foundation and the Kraków Municipal Greenspace Authority, and is part of the Horizon 2020-funded CLEARING HOUSE project.
The EFUF 2023 overall theme is Urban Forests as Nature-based Solutions. To read more about the aspects on the agenda, look here.
EFUF 2023 is open to all interested in urban forest management, policy, planning and decision-making. This year we focus on managers, researchers, practitioners, consultants and representatives from stakeholder groups (e.g. lobbyists, envNGOs (ENGO), volunteer groups, etc.).
The language of the forum is English.
The Forum starts with a welcome drink and light buffet on Tuesday the 23rd of May. The official start is scheduled for Wednesday, the 24th of May at 09:30. The conference ends on the 26th of May with an excursion. On Saturday the 27th we offer an optional excursion. Find a more detailed programme here.
Find original post here: European Forum on Urban Forestry | EFUF
Come and debate European environmental policy with policymakers, leading environmentalists, and stakeholders from Europe and beyond at EU Green Week 2023.
Join the conference on 6 – 7 June to hear the latest from the world of the EU environmental policies, and in particular on biodiversity, circular economy, and zero pollution. It’s an opportunity to celebrate the progress already made whilst inspiring individuals, communities and organisations to take further action to protect and restore our environment for present and future generations.
Throughout the week, partner events organised by schools, universities, business associations, environmental organisations, civil society, and government agencies will take place across Europe and beyond. These will raise awareness and educate people about the importance of protecting the environment and promoting sustainable living practices. They will include a variety of activities such as educational workshops, seminars, and eco-friendly projects highlighting the importance of “green” skills – skills which will empower people to join and contribute to the green transition.
The call for partner events is open!
Find more information on EU Green Week Partner Events here.
- environmental protection
World Congress Building Green 2023
The World Congress Building Green 2023 in Berlin is a multi-day event all about building greening (roof, facade and interior greening) with the accompanying topics (including urban climate, stormwater management, sustainability, future city). At the end of the congress there will be the opportunity to participate in excursions to special projects.
The World Congress is organized by the Bundesverband GebäudeGrün e.V. (BuGG) with the support of WGIN and EFB.
The largest congress on building greening ever held in Europe will offer, among other things:
- over 100 speakers from different countries
- over 40 exhibitors at the accompanying trade exhibition
- over 20 cooperation and media partners (associations, organizations, institutions)
- Knowledge transfer on greening buildings (roof, facade and interior greening)
- Demonstration of best practice examples
- Knowledge transfer by industry experts from Germany and abroad in parallel series of lectures and discussion rounds
- Networking. Meeting point. Addressing new target groups
- Cross-thematic exchange of experience between city representatives, architects, urban planners, urban water management experts, industry and real estate representatives, manufacturers, processors, researchers, associations, politicians and other interested parties
Become a Sponsor:
You have the opportunity to become a partner/sponsor and get visible: bugg_2023_sponsoring-packages.pdf (bugg-congress2023.com) > registration is already open!!
Website: Home (bugg-congress2023.com)
Registartion for tickets has started!