BuGG – Market Report on Building Greening 2020 published
Over 7.2 million square metres of new green roofs in Germany in 2019!
With the “BuGG – Market Report on Building Greening 2020”, the German Association of Building Greening (Bundesverband GebäudeGrün e.V. – BuGG) publishes for the first time an overview of the most important available facts and figures on green roofs, facade greening and interior greening in Germany. The BuGG – Market Report on Building Greening is intended to provide current figures on the green building market every year to industry, politics, construction stakeholders, the media and all other interested parties. The various figures and data are largely based on our own research and surveys, without any claim to completeness. Currently, the focus of the figures from the green building market is still on green roofs. The methods of data collection are quite clear and the data is good to obtain via member- and city surveys.
Greening buildings is no longer a “niche product”. The green building market is growing and reflects this in a large number of projects. In the course of climate adaptation, green roofs and green facades play a major role, especially in heat and flood prevention.
Below are some interesting figures; these and many more are described in detail in the market report.
- In Germany, 7,217,720 m² of roof area were newly greened in 2019.
- Over the years, the total amount of green roof area in Germany has been around 120,000,000 m².
- In addition, around 90,000 m² of façade area was greened in 2019.
- Munich is at the top of the “BuGG green roof national” league with 3,148,043 m² of green roof area.
- According to the “green roof index”, Stuttgart leads the “BuGG green roof national league” with 4.1 m² of green roof per inhabitant.
- The average “green roof index” (square metres of green roof per inhabitant) is 1.2.
- 26 of the cities (or 24 %) with more than 50,000 inhabitants promote green roofs or facades and give financial subsidies.
- 72 % of the cities with more than 50,000 inhabitants indirectly promote green roofs and reduce the rainwater charge when green roofs are present.
As an additional service, the market report includes an “industry directory” in which more than 50 companies and associations related to greening buildings are listed as experts.
The BuGG – Market Report on Building Greening 2020 has 72 pages and is vividly designed with over 70 graphics, photos and tables. It is available free of charge as a download or can also be ordered as a DIN A4 brochure for a nominal fee of 19 euros plus postage.
Here you can download the market report: https://www.gebaeudegruen.info/kontakt/prospektanforderung
A shortened English version will also be available for download on the website in the in the next month.